Xanthan Gum 80 Mesh
Fermented xanthan gum is extracted as a white/cream coloured, cold-water-soluble powder, which can provide rapid viscosity and suspending properties at typically 0.1% - 0.5% w/w. It has neutral flavour and aroma in use.
To avoid lumping, the xanthan gum should either be dispersed in another dry ingredient, oil or water-miscible solvent – prior to adding to water, with reasonably high shear mixing.
Xanthan gum is an additive and hydrocolloid with excellent process-tolerance and stability at high and low pH in many circumstances. Xanthan gum has better alcohol-tolerance than most other hydrocolloids.
Xanthan gum thickens synergistically with other hydrocolloids such as Guar Gum and in particular with Locust Bean Gum, Cassia and Konjac - permitting the formation of thermo-reversible gels.
Xanthan alone can sometimes cause gelling or phase separation, for example in low viscosity dairy liquids although it is widely used in dairy systems such as cottage cheese.
- Emulsion stabiliser and thickener (mayonnaise and dressings)
- Provides ‘cling’ in batter coatings and coleslaw dressings.
- Can control sugar crystal size in confectionery and ice cream structure (providing a ‘warmer’ eat).
- Effective thickener and suspension aid in sugar-free and low-calorie drinks, providing a sugar-like mouthfeel.
- Xanthan gum has corresponding applications in cosmetic oil in-water emulsions – potentially providing shelf-life and freeze-thaw stability
- Xanthan gum has also been used to thicken emulsion paints and liquid cleansers.
This is the current spec for Xanthan Gum 80 Mesh Law Labs Approved. The spec can be viewed in full screen and downloaded by clicking the button.View PDF